Admittedly not the most exciting topic, but the roof and gutters may be one of the most important tasks we took on.
From the ground we could tell that some of the shingles were peeling away and that there was some rotting near the top ridge of the house. From the home inspection, we knew we would be replacing the roof. And in the process of completely re-shingling, we would find out how much of the wood sheeting needed to be replaced as well.
The roof is also where we made one of the only structural (albeit cosmetic) changes to the house. The right side of the front of the house originally had three small dormer windows. These three dormers had three problems...
- We didn't like the way they looked
- Architects told us they didn't make any sense architecturally or aesthetically
- Roofers explained they were preventing us from installing proper gutters
By the end of the project, we had replaced a portion of wood sheeting, applied weatherguard, installed 30 year shingles, added new flashing, soffit, and aluminum gutters, removed the three dormers on the right, and lifted the roof on the left between the two larger dormers to match the new roof line on the right. You can see this in the before and after photos above, or in a longer stream of before, during, and after photos below :)
And, I have to mention, they did all of this in less than a week. We were lucky to have used this roofing contractor for several homes in the past, but we found them on Angie's List. I can't emphasize enough how important it is to read reviews and talk to references! If you're looking for a roofer, I'd gladly refer ours. Send me an email for more info.