Wallpaper is a tricky thing. It's a great way to add depth and intrigue to a space, but it's often thought of as a dated medium. My feelings on wallpaper are pretty simple:
- DO NOT use wallpaper if renovating or updating a home for immediate resale
- when it comes to wallpaper, individual tastes vary considerably, and people tend to have strong opinions in this realm
- it is also notoriously time consuming to remove, so while a potential buyer can easily imagine a fresh coat of paint over a hue they don't love, disliked wallpaper is not so simply remedied
- DO think of wallpaper as a way to create a unique and memorable space
- when used as a focal point, wallpaper can be a fantastic outlet for creativity in your home
- i think of a wallpapered room in a house as the equivalent of an accent wall in a room: it's a subtle way to create a strong vibe or atmosphere in your home
- DO NOT overdo it
- too much wallpaper in too many rooms makes your selections less impactful
- instead of having positive visual impact, too much or busy wallpaper can be overwhelming and distracting
- DO be brave in your wallpaper choices!
- especially when used as an accent or focal point like a small room, or a small section of room (for example, above or below a chair rail), bold wallpaper can be stunning
- you spend far more time in your home than even your most frequent guests. at the end of the day, who cares what anyone else thinks if your wallpaper puts a smile on your face every time you see it
It's worth saying, my taste is probably not your taste. But that's what I love about wallpaper. There are so many colors and patterns to choose from, and so many places to think about using them. Wallpaper is the perfect way to really make your space your own.
And coming soon, I'll be sharing my favorite online source of wallpaper, which also happens to be one of my all time favorite websites in general! Stay tuned :)